This Vegan Biscuits and Gravy recipe is the best dairy- and egg-free way to make flaky and tender biscuits with creamy plant-based gravy.
Everyone loves a freshly baked biscuit, not to mention one slathered in homemade gravy. And now plant-based eaters can rejoice: these biscuits and gravy are 100% vegan, and every bit as savory, buttery and delicious.
How to Make Vegan Biscuits
Despite being vegan, this biscuit recipe is similar to your standard homemade biscuits. You’ll need the standard dry ingredients, plus a few dairy-free swaps to replace the milk and butter in most biscuit recipes.
How to Replace Dairy in Homemade Biscuits
It’s easier than you think to swap out butter for dairy-free homemade biscuits. For this recipe, you’ll use:
- Vegan butter, which you’ll cut into small pieces to work into the biscuit dough.
- Vegan yogurt. Choose an unflavored yogurt made with almond, cashew, oat, or coconut. For best results, use both regular vegan yogurt and 1 tablespoon of Greek-style vegan yogurt, which is thicker and adds a nice tang to the dough.
- Plain nut milk, such as cashew or almond milk.
Vegan Biscuit Dough
To mix the dough and shape your vegan biscuits, start by combining the dry ingredients in one bowl. Then add the dairy-free butter in small pieces to the dry ingredients, working the butter into small flour-covered pieces. You can do this with your hands or a pastry cutter.
Next, add the wet ingredients (yogurt, Greek yogurt and nut milk) to make a shaggy, sticky dough. Be sure not to overmix anything, which can result in dense and chewy biscuits.
To cut the biscuits, shape the dough into a square on a flat work surface. It should be about 1-inch thick, with a flattened surface. Use a sharp knife or rotary cutter to slice the dough into 8 equal squares. Be careful not to press down on the biscuit dough too much, which can prevent all those flaky layers from forming.
Let the cut biscuits chill in the freezer for about 20 minutes before baking them to flaky, golden brown perfection.
How to Make Vegan Gravy
While your vegan biscuits bake, it’s time to make your gravy. If you like, you can use a link of plant-based sausage to add texture and a familiar meat-like flavor to your sauce.
The other ingredients you need for this creamy and savory homemade gravy recipe are:
- Vegan butter
- All-purpose flour, to thicken the sauce
- Plain, unsweetened nut milk
- Nutmeg, for a touch of warmth
- Garlic powder for the signature gravy flavor
Make the gravy right in a large cast-iron skillet. The recipe comes together in minutes and results in a thick, creamy and flavor-filled sauce that you’ll want to eat straight out of the pan!
Serving & Storing
Serve your vegan biscuits and gravy fresh and hot! You can also top your flaky biscuits with fruit jam (try one of my low-sugar jam recipes made with peaches and vanilla or raspberries), a pat of plant-based butter, or alongside a warm bowl of homemade soup.
The gravy goes just as well over seared tofu, tempeh, or other plant-based protein for a hearty meal that you won’t miss the meat in.
You can store the gravy in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Keep the biscuits on the counter for up to 2 days. Both the biscuits and gravy can be frozen for up to three months.
To defrost frozen vegan biscuits or gravy, let both thaw in the fridge overnight or on the the counter for a few hours before serving. You can also warm them in the oven, wrapped in aluminum foil.
After enjoying your vegan biscuits and gravy, give these recipes a try next:
- Vegan Croissants: How to Make Flaky Butter-Free Pastries at Home
- Ham and Cheese Scones
- Seitan Buffalo Wings: Best Vegan Game-Day Recipe
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
Vegan Biscuits and Gravy
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups AP flour plus more for dusting
- ¾ cup and 1 teaspoon vegan butter cut into half cm cubes plus more for brushing
- ¾ cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vegan Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons plain cashew or almond milk
- 1 vegan sausage minced (optional)
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- ¼ cup spring onion finely chopped, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups plain cashew or almond milk
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 204°C.
- In a large bowl, mix until combined the baking powder, salt, sugar, baking soda and flour. Add small pieces of vegan butter and mix them until they are covered in flour. Add the vegan yogurt, Greek yogurt and cashew milk and combine with your hands until the mix is together and looks shaggy. Be careful to not overmix.
- Dust the counter with flour and bring down the dough. Form a 1″ thick square with your hands, pressing along the dough. Then, cut the dough into four squares with a knife or pizza cutter. Make a tower with the four squares and press them down with your hands. Roll the dough to a 1″ thick rectangle. Trim the borders to have clean edges. Cut the rectangle into 8 squares. Place the biscuits on an oven tray covered with parchment and freeze them for 20 minutes.
- Bake the biscuits for 20 – 25 minutes, until they are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the minced vegan sausage and the onions, cook them until they start to brown. Then, add the flour, mix everything together and cook for about one minute. Finally, add the cashew milk, nutmeg, garlic powder and pepper. Mix and bring to a boil, cook until the gravy has thickened. Season with salt.
- Open the biscuits in half, fill with gravy and top with fresh parsley. Enjoy.