Vegan Rice Krispie Treats are the soft, chewy marshmallow-and-cereal treats you love from childhood, reimagined for adults! Here’s how to make 4-ingredient plant-based rice crispy treats two ways: classic and peanut butter chocolate chip.
Kids and adults, vegans and non-vegans will go crazy for this simple four-ingredient snack. These bars are not so sweet that they’ll send you for a sugar crash, but they certainly satisfy any sweet tooth. They’re perfectly crisp, with the melt-in-your-mouth tenderness you remember from childhood.
The hardest part about this rice crispy treats recipe is waiting for the bars to cool fully in the pan before slicing and serving!
How to Make Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
This recipe is so fun and easy that it’s the perfect way to get kids involved in the kitchen. With a little supervision, you can have little helpers putting in the work to make their favorite after school snack.
Simply melt the vegan butter and marshmallows in a saucepan. Add in vanilla extract for flavor and stir in your rice Krispie cereal. Make sure the cereal is well coated in the marshmallow mixture before transferring the dough to an 8×8-inch baking dish to set up.
If you like, you can decorate the top with dairy-free chocolate chips, chocolate drizzle, or another crunchy, sweet topping.
Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treat Recipe
For a nutty twist on the classic treats, add a quarter cup of your favorite creamy peanut butter. You could just as easily use almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter if you’re accomodating nut or peanut allergies.
Doubling the Recipe
You can easily make a double, or even a triple batch of the rice crispies. Just use a bigger pot and baking dish and increase all of the ingredients accordingly.
Storing Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
These are the ideal make-ahead afterschool snack or easy dessert. You can store the treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days.
They should also freeze well if you want to store a batch for longer. Simply wrap them tightly or keep in an airtight container and freeze for up to three months. Then let the treats defrost to room temperature on the counter before serving.
More Treats to Try
- Vegan Croissants: How to Make Flaky Butter-Free Pastries at Home
- Best Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipe
- Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats
- Vegan Hot Chocolate
I’d love to see your masterpieces! If you make this or any of my recipes be sure to tag @foodlovecooks on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!
Vegan Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter
- 5 ounces vegan marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups rice Krispies cereal
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips optional
- Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large saucepan or skillet, melt the butter and add vegan marshmallows over low heat until the marshmallows are just melted. Stir in the vanilla to combine.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the Rice Krispies and mix until evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top with chocolate chips if you like. Coat a spoon or spatula in non-stick cooking spray and use it to press the mixture firmly into a packed, even layer.
- Allow the pan to set at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Remove the treats from the pan and slice into squares.
- Store the treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
Leave a Reply