This creamy vegan hot chocolate made with almond and coconut milk, cocoa powder and sweetened with coconut sugar is the lightened up version of your favorite winter drink. You won’t even notice that each sip is dairy-free!
Who doesn’t love a piping hot mug of hot chocolate on a chilly winter day? Today’s recipe has everything you love about your favorite childhood warmer, minus the dairy. Make a big batch with cocoa powder, two kinds of plant-based milk, and just-sweet-enough cocoa powder milk, and no one will think twice.
Especially when you top off their mugs with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings!
How to Make Vegan Hot Chocolate
To make this plant-based treat at home, you’ll need a few simple ingredients. I love a combination of almond milk and coconut milk for the base. Coconut milk adds so much richness and creaminess, and the almond is a thinner, lighter way to balance out the coconut flavor.
Instead of almond milk, you can use any of your favorite unsweetened nut milks or soy milk. And if you’re not a fan of coconut or are nut-free, making the cocoa with all soy milk will also work.
Best Chocolate for Homemade Cocoa
Be sure to choose a chocolate that you love for this recipe, as it will become the dominant taste in your drink. I love using shaved dark chocolate, which melts perfectly and adds a silky, decadent note to the cocoa. You can also use regular baking chips if you have them on hand.
This vegan hot chocolate recipe also calls for two tablespoons of cacao powder. This nutritional powerhouse is packed with antioxidants, making this sweet treat less indulgent than it tastes!
The key to the best vegan hot chocolate is to serve each mug with a scoop of coconut whipped cream in the bottom and on top. It adds incredible creaminess to each sip. From there, you can dress up your drink however you like! Some of my favorite ways to add a touch more sweetness and flair to my mugs are:
- Coconut whipped cream
- Shaved chocolate (use dark, milk or white)
- Plant-based marshmallows
- Candy canes
- Cinnamon sticks
Homemade Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix
If you’re in the holiday spirit, then you’ve come to the right place! You can turn this vegan hot chocolate recipe into a delicious and thoughtful gift. Simply make hot cocoa mix with the cacao powder, coconut sugar, a dash of cinnamon, and grated dark chocolate.
Add a cute pouch of gelatin-free marshmallows and the recipe instructions, and delight your vegan and non-vegan friends!
More Favorite Winter Recipes
- Red Velvet Bundt Cake
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup: Savory & Creamy Recipe
- Caramel Apple Pie Cookies
- Dairy-Free Matcha Latte from Food by Mars
I’d love to see your masterpieces! If you make this or any of my recipes be sure to tag @foodlovecooks on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!
Vegan Hot Chocolate
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chopped or grated (you may substitute with chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut whipped cream divided
- Cinnamon powder optional
- Marshmallows optional
- In a small pot, over low heat, warm the almond and coconut milk until just beginning to steam.
- Add the grated chocolate and cacao powder. Stir well until the chocolate melts completely.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and coconut sugar.
- Take two serving cups and add 1 tablespoon coconut whipped cream to the bottom of each one. Pour the hot chocolate into the cups, stirring continuously. By adding the whipped cream at the bottom and not necessarily on top of the drink, you will give the drink a smooth and rich consistency.
- Top with the remaining whipped cream, a bit of cinnamon (about ¼ tsp for each cup) or marshmallows, whatever you prefer.
Leave a Reply