If you read this blog regularly, you might have noticed that we make a lot of soup, especially tomato soup! Is there anything better than a hot mug of tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich on a cold winter day? One of my favorite recipes is this Instant Pot creamy tomato basil soup. My family loves this soup, and I love it because it’s easy and inexpensive to make.
I got my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker more than a year ago, and it’s become one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. The thing I use it for the most is making soup. It has a pre-programmed soup setting, so cooking the soup is automatic.
This Instant Pot creamy tomato basil soup is packed with flavor, and with healthy veggies. Just a touch of heavy cream gives the soup richness without too many calories.
To begin this recipe, dice one medium onion, two large celery stalks, and two large carrots. Sauté these in a bit of olive oil using the Instant Pot’s sauté setting.
Toward the end of the sauté process, add some salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and dried basil to the veggie mixture. Once the vegetables have started to soften, turn off the heat. Stir in some canned diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and a couple of bay leaves. Lock down the lid of the Instant Pot and cook the soup using the automatic soup setting, or cook for 15 minutes at high pressure.
Once the cooking cycle is finished, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Release the rest of the pressure manually and unlock the lid.
After the soup is cooked, you’ll want to puree it to get it smooth. An immersion blender is the best tool for pureeing hot soup. Fortunately, a decent immersion blender doesn’t have to be expensive.
The final step is to add a little bit of heavy cream. If you don’t eat dairy, you could skip the cream, or use your favorite vegan milk, like coconut or almond milk.
Tomato soup is the ultimate comfort food – hot, creamy and satisfying, but also good for you. It’s a perfect match for your grilled cheese sandwich, but it goes great with salad, grilled chicken or beef, or just about anything else. If you want a heartier soup, try adding some cooked small pasta (like orzo or ditalini) or cooked rice.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- Using the sauté setting of the electric pressure cooker, sauté the onion, celery and carrots in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and basil, and sauté for 1-2 minutes more.
- Turn off heat, add bay leaves, tomatoes and chicken broth, and stir.
- Secure the lid and cook the vegetable mixture using the soup setting, or cook for 15 minutes at high pressure.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then manually release remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender.
- Add the cream, and stir until well blended.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
- Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
- Cuisinart CSB-300 Rechargeable Hand Blender with Electric Knife, One Size, Stainless Steel
- Measuring Cups and Magnetic Measuring Spoons Set, Wildone Stainless Steel 16 Piece Set, 8 Measuring Cups & 7 Double Sided Stackable Magnetic Measuring Spoons & 1 Leveler
- WÜSTHOF Gourmet Eighteen Piece Acacia Block Set | 18-Piece German Knife Set | Precise Laser Cut High Carbon Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife Set with 17 Slot Acacia Wood Block – Model 9718-6
- Gorilla Grip Original Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen, Set of 3, Black
Serving Size:1 1/4 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 761mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
Disclosures: The author was not compensated by any person or company for the content of this post. The post may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product using these links, we receive a commission. This helps with the cost of publishing recipes on this website.