Caramel. Apple Pie. Cookies. Truth be told, I had a hard time naming these. Are they cookies? Are they mini pies? Are they cobbler bites? I settled on Caramel Apple Pie Cookies but you could also think of these as apple pie bites. With the combination of apple, cinnamon, caramel, and pie crust these smell heavenly and they taste even better.
Thanksgiving is fast approaching and I’ll be hosting for the first time ever this year. My parents and siblings all live out of state but they’ll be coming to visit for the holiday. Hosting Thanksgiving is a little overwhelming, especially because I’ll be in charge of making almost everything. Our family Thanksgivings are usually pot-luck affairs, but with people coming in the evening before and staying in hotels that won’t be possible. Part of my plan is to have plenty of things ready in advance. A few weeks ago I went apple picking with my family and made freezer apple pie filling. I used it to make these cookies and I think they’ll be perfect for Thanksgiving.
For this recipe it’s best to use apple pie filling that contains diced, not sliced apples, since each cookie only contains 1 tablespoon of filling. I had home made filling ready to go which was made with sliced apples, so I just cut mine up a little using kitchen shears.
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 1/2 cups apple pie filling
- 1 tablespoon white flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon salted butter
- 6 caramels (the individually wrapped cubes)
- Special equipment:
- 3 5/8 inch round cutter
- Muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a 3 5/8 inch round cutter, cut 12 circles out of the pie crusts. (Two circles will be made using scraps.)
- Place a circle of pie crust in each cup of the muffin tin. Gently press each circle of dough down to form shallow cups.
- Fill each crust with 1 tablespoon of filling, take care not to overfill.
- In a small bowl combine white flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Add butter and mix with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Top each cookie with 1 teaspoon of brown sugar mixture.
- Bake for 19-20 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, unwrap the caramels and place them in a microwave safe bowl. Melt caramels according to package instructions.
- When cookies are done baking, drizzle each cookie with the melted caramel.
- Allow cookies to cool for 10 minutes and gently remove from muffin tin using a fork.
Disclosures: The author was not compensated by any person or company for the content of this post. The post may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product using these links, we receive a commission. This helps with the cost of publishing recipes on this website.