Make easy sous vide short ribs that are meltingly tender, juicy and glazed in your favorite BBQ sauce: the best way to eat beef short ribs!
About Sous Vide Beef Short Ribs
With just a few simple ingredients and a sous vide immersion ciruclator, you can make the best beef short ribs. This recipe makes incredibly tender ribs that are packs with sweet and spicy flavor from your favorite barbecue sauce.
This is a fantastic way to bring the flavors of summer and outdoor eating inside during the cooler months, without sacrificing flavor.
Sous Vide Short Rib Ingredients
- Beef Short Ribs. Choose bone-in ribs for the most flavor.
- Brown sugar, which helps caramelize and intensify the flavor of your ribs while they cook in the water bath. Light brown sugar works well, but dark or granulated sugar is also good in this spice rub.
- Garlic powder, for a bit more savory allium taste.
- Barbecue sauce of your choice. This will thicken up and caramelize on the outside of your ribs after sous viding. Choose something not too runny or sweet for the most savory, lacquered short ribs. You can even make your own barbecue sauce. I love Ina Garten’s recipe.
Sous vide short ribs are best if cooked for 12 hours at 158°F/70°C.
How to Make Sous Vide Beef Ribs
This recipe is easy and mostly hands-off, becaue the sous vide wand does most of the work. All you need to do is:
- Trim the meat, removing any excess sinew, silverskin, or fat.
- Heat a large water bath to 158°F/70°C.
- Coat the ribs in a rub of brown sugar, salt, pepper, and garlic salt and pack them into a sous vide bag.
- Submerge the bag in your water bath and let the ribs cook for 12 hours.
- When the cooking time ends, preheat your oven and dry off the ribs. Discard the excess liquid in the bag.
- Smother your ribs in your favorite BBQ sauce and let them crisp up and carmelize in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot!
- Sous vide container or a pot large enough for the bag of short ribs to be fully submerged during cooking.
- A sous vide immersion circulator
- A sous vide bag or vacuum sealer and packaging
- A baking sheet for caramelizing the short ribs in the oven
- A cutting board and chef’s knife to trim excess fat off the ribs
Storing Leftover Short Ribs
If you end up with leftover sous vide short ribs, store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days.
How to serve these tender short ribs? First of all, with extra BBQ sauce for dipping. Then, I like to make the ribs the star of the plate. I’ll add a simple side dish or two of vegetables and/or starch.
Here are some tasty dishes to complement your slow-cooked ribs:
- 5-Ingredient Spanish Rice (Mexican Rice or Arroz Rojo)
- Red and Green Salad with Creamy Pesto Dressing
- Vegan Biscuits and Gravy Recipe: Flaky, Buttery, and Dairy-Free!
- Sous Vide Flank Steak: How To Make Juicy & Tender Teriyaki-Marinated Steak Every Time
- Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin: How To Make Perfectly Buttery Pork
- Sous Vide Scallops: How to Cook Perfectly Tender Scallops
- Air Fryer Hash Browns from Scratch Two Ways: How to Make Healthier Fried Potatoes
- Easy Instant Pot Tilapia with Vegetables
Sous Vide Short Ribs
- 3½ pounds beef short ribs bone in
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup BBQ sauce of your choice
- In a large pot or container, heat 8 liters of water to 158°F/70°C with a sous vide machine.
- Trim off any sinew and fat on the short ribs.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, brown sugar, pepper and garlic powder. Cover the ribs with the seasoning mix.
- Pack the ribs into a sous vide bag and submerge in the water bath. Cook for 12 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the bag, discard the bag and the remaining liquids. Cool the meat completely.
- Preheat the oven to 410°F/210°C. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Place the ribs on the prepared baking sheet and pat them dry with a dish towel. Coat the ribs all over with the BBQ sauce, being generous with the sauce. Roast, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce starts to boil and stick to the ribs.
- Finish with salt and pepper and serve.