Instant Pot Tilapia with Vegetables is a healthy, light, and easy pressure cooker dinner with your favorite white fish and colorful veggies!
If you’re looking for a healthy dinner recipe to jump start the new year or just a new week, this Instant Pot tilapia is for you. Made with lean white fish and crunchy vegetables, it’s packed with nutrients and protein. Plus, thanks to our Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, it couldn’t be faster or easier to make!
If this is our first time making instant pot fish, prepare to be amazed by how fast and delicious it is.
About Instant Pot Tilapia
Without too man additional seasonings or sauces, this pared-down recipe lets the ingredients speak for themsleves. Simple pressure cooked tilapia and crunchy vegetables have plenty of flavor on their own.
And the best part is that you can dress the dish up or down depending on how you’re feeling. Serve the tilapia with any of your favorite sauces for dipping and drizzling. It’s the perfect blank canvas!
- Tilapia fillets. You’ll need about 1 pound of fish for this 2-serving recipe. Fresh or frozen fish will both work well.
- Dried basil. This adds a touch of herby flavor to the dish. Feel free to experiment with other dried herbs like oregano, parsley, or dill.
- Olive oil. Just a dash of extra-virgin oil adds to the flavor and texture of your fish. For oil-free, omit this ingredient.
- Chopped vegetables of choice. I love broccoli florets, sliced zucchini, and yellow squash, and carrots. But feel free to use any of your favorite quick-cooking vegetables. Cauliflower, chopped bok choy, bell peppers, or mushrooms would also work. You’ll want about 4 cups of chopped vegetables to feed two.
How Long to Cook Tilapia in the Instant Pot
Tilapia fillets are thin and delicate, which means they cook in minutes under high pressure. This recipe takes just five minutes to prep and the veggies and fish together cook in just 4 minutes at high pressure.
Plus, there’s no need to wait for a natural pressure release. As soon as the cook time ends on your Instant Pot, switch the valve to venting for a quick pressure release.
If you have frozen fish, add 2-4 minutes to the cook time, depending on the thickness of your fillet.
How to Make Instant Pot Tilapia with Vegetables
To make this quick and easy Instant Pot fish recipe, you’ll need the trivet that came with your pressure cooker. Place it in the pressure cooking pot, along with 1 cup of water. this will steam your fish for a healthy, delicate cooking process.
Start by cooking the tilapia alone for 3 minutes at high pressure. Then do a quick pressure release, remove the lid and add the veggies on top of the fish. Cover the Instant Pot and cook for another 2 minutes at high pressure. Finish with a quick pressure release, and remove the lid to a fully cooked meal!
This recipe is designed for a 6-quart Instant Pot. It will work in any brand of electric pressure cooker. You’ll also need a wire trivet to steam the fish.
Store leftover Instant Pot tilapia with vegetables in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
To round out the meal, add a healthy starch like Cilantro-Lime Brown Rice or quinoa.
- Blackened Shrimp
- Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts Recipe: Spicy Cajun Snack
- Instant Pot Tomato Basil Soup: Savory & Creamy Recipe
Instant Pot Tilapia with Vegetables
- 1 pound fresh tilapia approximately 2 fillets
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or herbs of your choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 1 medium yellow squash sliced
- 1 medium carrot sliced
- 1 cup water
- Wash and pat dry tilapia fillets and cut lengthwise each fillet.
- In a medium bowl, mix tilapia fillet with dried basil, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Add a cup of water to the instant pot and place the trivet. Add the marinated tilapia fillets over the trivet and close the instant pot lid. Switch on the “Pressure cook/ Manual mode” at high and set timer for 3 minutes. Turn the pressure knob to sealing position.
- Once cooking is done, quickly release pressure by carefully turning the knob to ‘vent’ position. Once all the pressure was released, carefully remove the lid.
- Add the sliced vegetables such as broccoli florets, zucchini, yellow squash, and carrots over the cooked tilapia fillets. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt. Close and secure the instant pot lid again to its position and turn the pressure knob to sealing position. Pressure cook for ‘0’ minutes.
- Once cooked, quick release the pressure by carefully turning the knob to ‘vent’ position. Remove the instant pot lid and carefully transfer the cooked vegetables and tilapia fillets into a serving plate.
- Serve the tilapia fillets, cooked vegetables along with your favorite sides or sauce.
While removing tilapia fillets from instant pot, be careful not to break the fillets.