I admit it, vegetable side dishes are kind of an obsession of mine! I’m also obsessed with cooking gadgets, so put two and two together, and you’ll know why I decided to make these spiral sweet potato oven fries.
Regular sweet potato fries are delicious, but let’s face it, they’re not an everyday kind of food. These spiral sweet potato oven fries have a similar taste and texture, but they’re a lot healthier! They’re great as a side dish, snack, salad topping or burger topping. You can cut the sweet potatoes with a vegetable spiralizer, or you can buy spiralized sweet potatoes in many grocery stores.
Start your sweet potato oven fries by covering two large baking sheets with foil, and spraying the foil with cooking spray. Don’t skip the cooking spray, because sweet potatoes have a lot of natural sugar, and they tend to be a little sticky.
You may wonder if you really need to use two baking sheets, but the sweet potato spirals take up a lot of space, and they will not get crisp if they’re crowded. Be aware that they will shrink a lot during baking.
Cut the sweet potato into whatever shape works best for your vegetable spiralizer. I have the Mueller Spiralizer, so I cut off the pointy ends and cut the sweet potato in half crosswise. Set the flat side of the sweet potato on a cutting board for stability, and cut off the skin with a knife.
Once you’ve removed the skin, cut the sweet potato spirals. My spiralizer has two spiral blades, one that cuts the vegetables into string-like pieces and one that cuts them into ribbon-like pieces. The string blade works better than the ribbon blade for this recipe.
Put the sweet potato spirals in a bowl with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and 2 teaspoons of your favorite seasoning mix. I like to use 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning and 1 teaspoon of garlic salt. Mix gently with your hands until the sweet potatoes are coated with oil and seasoning. Spread the sweet potatoes out on the prepared baking sheets as evenly as possible. Here they are, ready to go in the oven!
Bake the sweet potato spirals at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, then stir and redistribute the spirals using two forks, and bake about another 10 minutes. Baking these oven fries is a little tricky, because they burn easily. Keep an eye on them during the second half of baking!
You can serve these fries with a sauce, like Cajun barbecue dipping sauce, or you can eat them plain. They’re so yummy, I didn’t want to share them!
Spiral Sweet Potato Oven Fries
- 1 very large sweet potato about 1 pound
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt + 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning or substitute 2 teaspoons your favorite seasoning mix
- Cover 2 large sheet pans with foil, and spray the foil with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the ends off the sweet potato, and cut the potato in half crosswise. Remove skin with a knife or vegetable peeler.
- Use a vegetable spiralizer to cut each half of the sweet potato into shoestring-size spirals.
- Place the sweet potato spirals in a large bowl with olive oil and seasoning, and toss with your hands until the oil and spices are evenly distributed.
- Spread the sweet potato spirals out as evenly as possible on the 2 foil-covered baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then stir the sweet potato spirals and spread them out again.
- Bake 10-15 minutes more, watching the sweet potatoes so they don't burn.