I absolutely love when I can take a tried-and-true recipe and transform it into something new, so my favorite tomato soup recipe has now become One Pot Tortellini and Tomato Soup. It’s an adaptation of my Crock-Pot Tomato Soup recipe with just a few changes that make a big difference.
The biggest change: tortellini, of course. There is something about adding pasta to tomato soup that makes it so comforting and extra delicious. My mom likes to add orzo to her tomato soup (yum), and in my house we are big tortellini fans. It’s so cheesy and hearty, and I always like to have a package in my freezer ready for cold winter nights when I’m short on time.
Because I’ve added tortellini to the tomato soup, it’s no longer vegan like the original recipe. So I decided to add a little milk to make the soup a bit creamier. I used whole milk because it’s what I always have on hand, but you can use 1/2 cup to 1 cup of heavy cream (depending on how creamy you like it) or about 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt.
I love my Crock-Pot, but I’ll be honest, some mornings I just don’t have it together enough to plan a meal 8 hours in advance. This soup is made with ingredients I usually already have and it only takes 35 minutes from start to finish. Plus, being One Pot Tortellini and Tomato Soup means that clean up is minimal.
Although I didn’t make this soup in the Crock-Pot, I think it would work well cooked that way. I would make my original Crock-Pot Tomato Soup as I usually would, then add the milk and tortellini to the Crock-Pot for the last hour of cooking.
This recipe makes a lot of soup- 12 cups, so it’s one of my favorite things to make for dinner then eat again for lunch a few times. As always, I suggest that you top it with shredded or grated Parmesan and fresh, chopped basil. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion – coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 28-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 lb tortellini, frozen
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat olive oil to medium-high. Cook and stir garlic, onions, and bell peppers until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable broth, salt, and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Once the mixture starts to boil, turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a hand-held immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Add milk and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat up to medium, add the tortellini, and cook for 7-9 minutes, until tortellini is fully cooked.
- Serve immediately.
- I used frozen tortellini for this recipe, but you can also use refrigerated tortellini. Just decrease the tortellini cooking time by a minute or two.
- Serving Size: 1 cup