I’ve had my Instant Pot DUO for almost two years now, and I’ve slowly gone from not quite knowing what to do with it to using it just about every day. It took me a few months to discover all the ways I wanted to use it in my kitchen, but from the beginning I figured out it was a first-rate soup machine. One of the first soups I made was this Instant Pot red posole. Instant pot red posole (also spelled pozole, depending on where you live) is spicy, savory, satisfying, and topped with crunchy fresh vegetables.
Posole is a classic Mexican soup or stew of meat, vegetables, chiles and hominy. There’s red posole, made with pork, and green posole, made with chicken. Diners add fresh toppings – sliced radishes, cabbage, diced onion, avocado, fresh cilantro or lime wedges – to their bowls of hot soup. It’s a perfect meal in a bowl, that you can customize any way you like it.
Posole can be complicated to make, depending on the method you use. Some recipes call for soaking dried chiles or stewing meat for hours. With this Instant pot red posole, just half an hour of pressure cooking will make the pork taste like it’s been simmering all day. The warm chile flavor comes from a simple can of enchilada sauce.
Start your Instant Pot red posole by cooking chunks of pork in olive oil, along with onions, garlic, chile powder, paprika and salt. Use the Instant Pot sauté setting and high heat to get the pork browned and the onions tender.
After the pork is browned, add a can of red enchilada sauce, a can of diced green chiles, and 5 cups of chicken broth. Secure the pressure cooker’s lid and cook using the automatic soup setting. Release the pressure using a natural release.
Add a can of white hominy that has been drained. Don’t rinse the hominy – the starch that clings to the kernels will thicken the soup slightly. You can usually find hominy in two places in the grocery store: near the canned corn and near the Mexican ingredients. Mexican brands of hominy have a firmer and chewier texture than American brands. I like both kinds, but I prefer Mexican-style hominy for this soup.
Simmer the soup with hominy for 10-15 minutes, using the Instant Pot sauté setting and medium heat. At the end of cooking, add 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice and 1/3 cup chopped cilantro.
I like to serve this soup with sliced radishes, sliced cabbage, diced avocado, and additional fresh cilantro. I also like to serve it with crunchy tostada shells that have been toasted in a 300 degree oven for about 10 minutes and sprinkled with salt.
For the soup:
- 1 ½ pounds pork loin (or substitute pork shoulder)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, diced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon ancho or New Mexico chile powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon smoked or regular paprika
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) white hominy, drained
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Sliced radishes
- Sliced cabbage
- Diced white onion
- Diced avocado
- Additional fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Press the sauté button on the Instant Pot, then press the "adjust" button to select high heat ("More"). Add the oil.
- When oil is hot, add the pork, onion, garlic, salt, chili powder, oregano and paprika. Sauté until meat is browned, about 10 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add enchilada sauce, green chiles (undrained) and chicken broth, and stir to blend. Place and secure the lid on the Instant Pot. Press the soup button.
- At the end of the Instant Pot soup cycle, let the pressure release naturally for 15-20 minutes, then use the pressure release valve to release remaining pressure.
- When pressure is released, remove the lid and add the hominy. Select the sauté setting and simmer the soup for a few minutes just to heat through. Add the lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve your red posole with fresh toppings.
Nutrition information is for soup without toppings.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
- EcoCheph 4-Piece Eco-friendly Non Scratch Natural Bamboo Utensil Set
- Anolon Imperion Damascus Steel Cutlery Knife Block Set, 5-Piece
- Gorilla Grip Original Reversible Cutting Board (3-Piece) BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen (Set of Three: Black)
- OXO Good Grips Small Citrus Juicer with Built-In Measuring Cup and Strainer
Serving Size:1 1/2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 299 Total Fat: 13g Carbohydrates: 21g Fiber: 3g Protein: 23g
Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links. If you purchase products using these links, we receive a commission. We only include affiliate links for products we know, use and recommend.