Is it weird that I love, love, love veggie side dishes? Plain veggies are good for you, but dressing them up makes them a lot more appealing. I’m seriously excited about these green beans with breadcrumbs, almonds and garlic, a recipe I’ve been perfecting for several months now. This recipe comes together in just 15 minutes with a few simple ingredients from the freezer and pantry. I usually have the ingredients for this recipe on hand, so I can whip it up on short notice.
Start this recipe by steaming or microwaving a pound of green beans. You can use fresh green beans, but frozen green beans work fine in this recipe. The beans should be tender-crisp – almost done but not quite. Drain away any water after cooking.
While the green beans are cooking, toast some slivered almonds in a dry skillet until they are golden brown. Remove them from the heat and set aside.
In the same skillet, heat a mix of olive oil and butter over medium high heat, add a clove of pressed garlic, and sauté for 30 seconds to mellow the garlic flavor. The garlic is optional, so use it if you like it. I’ve made this recipe with and without garlic, but I like it better with.
Next, add the green beans that you’ve par-cooked and drained. Season with seasoning salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, and sauté the green beans for about 5 minutes until they are beginning to brown. Cooking the green beans this way brings out their natural sweetness. Get a little bit of caramelization on them.
Next, add the breadcrumbs and sauté 1-2 minutes more until the breadcrumbs are toasty. Stir in the almonds, and you’re all done!
These green beans with breadcrumbs, almonds and garlic are one of my family’s favorite veggie side dishes. They’re simple, tasty and healthy, and a big improvement over plain steamed green beans!
Green Beans with Breadcrumbs, Almonds and Garlic
- 1 package frozen green beans or 1 pound fresh green beans
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic pressed (optional; use if you like garlic)
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Steam or microwave the green beans until crisp-tender (about 5 minutes for fresh, or follow package directions for frozen). The beans should be a little underdone. Drain any water.
- Meanwhile, toast almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly browned and toasted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter over in the same skillet over medium high heat, add the garlic (if using) and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the steamed green beans. Sprinkle with seasoning salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, then sauté until slightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Add breadcrumbs and sauté 2-3 minutes more. Taste and add more seasoning salt or pepper as desired. Stir in toasted almonds.
For more recipes like this one, follow us on Pinterest, follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.
Leave a Reply