There’s something about Italian food that brings people together. Lots of our family celebrations seem to involve pizza, pasta, and generous servings of salad like this chopped antipasti salad. It’s a copycat version of a salad served at Buca di Beppo, one of our favorite restaurants for birthdays, graduations and other special occasions. It’s full of yummy veggies, plus pepperoni, two kinds of olives, and three cheeses. It’s far from being a plain, ordinary salad.
To make this salad, start with a mix of romaine and iceberg lettuce. Layer on sliced cucumbers, Roma or grape tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, green and black olives, sliced pepperoni or salami, diced provolone, and crumbled feta and gorgonzola cheeses.
I have mixed feelings about using raw onions in recipes, because their flavor tends to dominate everything else, but I do like red onion in this salad. I’ve found that the flavor will be less overwhelming if I slice the onion very thin, and soak the pieces in cold water for 30 minutes before adding them to the salad.
The dressing I use for this chopped antipasti salad is my Better-Than-Olive-Garden Copycat Italian Dressing. People love this salad, and it’s terrific as an entree salad or side salad for a big family dinner. I made it a couple of Sundays ago when everybody was home and we had ten people at the table. I added Lemon Grilled Chicken and baked potatoes for an easy menu everyone loved.
- 1/4 of a large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small head romaine lettuce
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced, slices cut in half
- 2 cups grape tomatoes or diced Roma tomatoes
- 3/4 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 3/4 cup black olives
- 3/4 cup green olives
- 8 oz. sliced pepperoni or salami, slices cut in half
- 1/2 cup diced provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- Slice the red onion and put the pieces in a small bowl of cold water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Wash and dry the lettuce and tear into bite-sized pieces. Place in the bottom of a large salad bowl.
- Layer the rest of the ingredients on top of the lettuce.
- Toss before serving.
- Dress with Better-Than-Olive-Garden Copycat Italian Dressing or your favorite Italian dressing.
Serving Size:1/8 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 281 Total Fat: 22g Carbohydrates: 8g Protein: 14g