I love sour cream on all types of Mexican food – its creamy coolness tames the heat from chiles and adds richness and tang to tacos, burritos, nachos, tamales, and lots of other dishes. Sour cream also makes an excellent base for a flavorful sauce, like this Chipotle Lime Crema. I developed this recipe as a dipping sauce for my Chipotle Lime Chicken Kabobs, but it also tastes great with Allie’s Black Bean Tacos, Cilantro Lime Shredded Chicken or just about any of our Mexican or Southwest recipes. It’s actually a faux crema – true Mexican crema is made with heavy cream and buttermilk, not sour cream. This sauce only takes about five minutes to make, and you can serve it with fish, shrimp, chicken, pork, beef, beans or vegetables.
Chipotle chiles are red, ripe jalapeños that have been smoked. A lot of recipes call for canned chipotles packed in spicy adobo sauce, but the dried powder is more convenient and easier to use in small amounts. Chipotle chile powder is moderately hot, so for a little more heat I used Tapatio, my favorite brand of Mexican-style hot sauce. I love the tangy flavor of Tapatio, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
The process for making this recipe couldn’t be easier. Just mix sour cream with chipotle chile powder, lime juice, lime zest, finely chopped cilantro, salt and hot sauce until well blended.
Start with just 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chile powder and 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, and then taste test to decide if you need more. I ended up using about 3/4 teaspoon chipotle powder and 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce. This sauce is so yummy, I didn’t mind doing two or three “taste tests”!
It’s best to make the crema about 30 minutes before serving, so the flavors have time to develop. Have fun trying this creamy sauce on anything and everything!
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Tapatio hot sauce, or your favorite hot sauce
- ¼ c. finely chopped cilantro
- Mix all ingredients in a small mixing bowl until well blended.
- Taste and add more chipotle powder or hot sauce if desired.
- Serve with fish, shrimp, chicken, pork, beef, beans or salads.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Di Oro Seamless Series 4-Piece Silicone Spatula Set - 600°F Heat-Resistant Pro-Grade Rubber Spatulas - Spoonula, Large Spatula, Small/Mini Spatula, and Jar Spatula - Kitchen Utensil Set (Red)
- Mixing Bowls with Airtight Lids, 6 piece Stainless Steel Metal Bowls by Umite Chef, Measurement Marks & Colorful Non-Slip Bottoms Size 7, 3.5, 2.5, 2.0,1.5, 1QT, Great for Mixing & Serving
- OXO Good Grips 4-Piece Glass Prep Bowl Set
- Measuring Spoons: U-Taste 18/8 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons Set of 9 Piece: 1/16 tsp, 1/8 tsp, 1/4 tsp, 1/3 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 3/4 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/2 tbsp & 1 tbsp Dry and Liquid Ingredients
- Pyrex Glass Measuring Cup Set (3-Piece, Microwave and Oven Safe)
- Stainless Steel Whisks, ONME 3 Pack Kitchen Whisks with Stainless Steel Egg Separator and Silicone Cooking Brush, 8" 10" 12" Balloon Wire Whisk for Blending, Whisking, Beating, Stirring, Set of 5
Serving Size:1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 29Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 80mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
Disclosures: The author was not compensated by any person or company for the content of this post. The post may contain affiliate links. If you buy a product using these links, we receive a commission. This helps with the cost of publishing recipes on this website.