Blackened Shrimp Tacos are flavored with Cajun seasoning, plump shrimp, and homemade low-carb taco shells for a quick and keto-friendly weeknight dinner recipe.
There’s no reason to wait for Tuesday to declare taco night. In fact, this healthy shrimp taco recipe is the perfect excuse to bring out your favorite toppings and have a festive Mexican-inspired meal. Bonus: our tacos include homemade keto taco shells!
How To Make Keto Shrimp Tacos
While most tacos might not be keto-approved, the best way to ensure that yours are low-carb is by making the tortillas yourself. Our recipe for keto tortillas is grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free. Instead of flour, we use almond and coconut meals, as well as xanthan gum for stretchiness.
Aside from the keto taco shell, to make fully keto-friendly tacos, you’ll need a high-protein, low- or no-carb taco filling. That’s where our flavor-packed, healthy blackened shrimp comes into the picture.
Keto Taco Seasoning
Our taco seasoning takes a Cajun spin. Spiced with dried oregano, paprika, chili powder, cumin, onion, and garlic, it’s deeply flavorful and transforms shrimp into sweet, spicy, and smokey flavor bombs. Wrap them in freshly made keto tortillas to complete the dish!
How To Make Keto Taco Shells
The key to the best keto blackened shrimp tacos is a good tortilla. Ours are nutty, thanks to almond and coconut flours, and have the signature tortilla stretch you expect from a flour-based taco shell. Our recipe post includes the step-by-step instructions for making and cooking simple keto tortillas in your own kitchen.
When it comes to assembling the tacos, you can use the same skillet to cook the shrimp and the tortillas. Either sauté the shrimp first and reserve it in a covered bowl to keep warm, or heat the tortillas first and store them in a warm oven until it’s time to eat.
There are hundreds of tasty and fresh ways to dress up your Mexican meal. When it comes to this recipe for blackened shrimp tacos, I love setting out a few different topping options for people to choose from. Favorite topping ideas include:
- Homemade Chipolte Lime Crema
- Fresh cilantro
- Finely diced red onions
- Thawed frozen (or fresh) corn kernels
- Shredded lettuce or cabbage
- Sour cream
- Homemade Salsa Verde (keto-friendly)
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Lime wedges
- Chopped tomato
- Sliced avocado and/or guacamole
More Healthy Mexican Recipes
If you’re on a taco kick, you just might love these other festive Mexican dinner recipes that are just as quick and easy:
- Five-Ingredient Black Bean Taquitos also make an easy after school snack or appetizer for a crowd.
- Chipolte Lime Chicken Kabobs are another protein-packed keto-friendly dinner recipe that you can turn into a taco with our tortillas!
- Easy Red Posole for the Pressure Cooker or Crock Pot is hearty, deeply flavorful and so easy to make in an Instant Pot or a slow cooker.
- Keto Chicken Enchilada Bowl from Hey Keto Mama is a delicious Mexican-flavored lunch recipe that travels well.
If you and your family love these Blackened Shrimp Tacos as much as I do, be sure to let me know in the comments! I love trying new topping ideas too 🙂
- Keto Blackened Shrimp
- Keto Tortillas
- Chipolte Lime Crema
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce
- Prepare the Keto Tortilla dough and let rest for 10 minutes
- While the dough rests, toss the Blackened Shrimp with the Cajun seasoning and cook in a large skillet. Transfer the shrimp to a bowl, cover, and cook the tortillas in the now-empty skillet.
- Serve tacos with toppings of choice.
- If you are making tortillas first, you can keep them warm in the preheated oven at 350F.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Simply Gourmet Measuring Cups and Measuring Spoons Set. Includes 12 Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons. Liquid Measuring Cup or Dry Measuring Cup Set. Stainless Measuring Cups, Nesting Cups
- Measuring Spoons: U-Taste 18/8 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons Set of 9 Piece: 1/16 tsp, 1/8 tsp, 1/4 tsp, 1/3 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 3/4 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/2 tbsp & 1 tbsp Dry and Liquid Ingredients