Spicy Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts are the perfect 30-minute homemade snack for peanut lovers.
Boiled peanuts are a classic American treat. You’ll find them in convenience stores throughout the South. But why not bring these addictingly delicious snacks home?
It’s just as easy to make your won boiled peanuts. And the best part is that you flavor them however you like. With an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, boiled peanuts are easy to make and totally hands-off.
About Instant Pot Spicy Boiled Peanuts
Boiled peanuts are an excellent snakc recipe to make in the pressure coooker. On the stove, this dish can take hours. But under high pressure, yo only need a 30 minute cooking time.
The result is peanuts that are packed with savory and spicy flavor, thanks to Cajun seasoning.
This spicy Instant Pot boiled peanut recipe calls for just four simple ingredients (including water and salt!)
- Raw peanuts. Be sure to use raw, shell-on nuts, as the shell keeps the peanuts from overcooking as they boil. Plus cracking the nuts open is part of the fun!
- Salt. This helps soften the nuts as they cook and infuses them with flavor.
- Cajun seasoning. You can use a store-bought spice blend or make your own with paprika, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and thyme.
- Water. You need about 8 cups, or enough to keep the nuts fully submerged in the pressure cooker.
How to Make Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts
Thanks to your electric pressure cooker, this is a largely hands-off recipe. All you have to do is combine the ingredients in the Instant Pot, set the cook time and walk away.
After the pressure cooking is finished, let the pot release naturally for half an hour. Then allow your boiled spicy peanuts to sit in the seasoned cooking liquid for about an hour before serving. This ensures that they’re nice and soft, packed with flavor, and cool enough to dish up.
Tips & Tricks
- It’s important to keep the nuts submerged in water for the entire cooking time. To make sure the nuts don’t pop up to the surface, place the metal trivet that came with your Instant Pot on top of the peanuts in the water.
- You can experiment with different flavors or spice blends if you like. Instead of spicy boiled peanut sin the instant Pot, try Italian seasoning, curry or another favorite spice blend.
Storing Spicy Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts
After allowing the peanuts to cool fully in the boiling liquid, drain them. Store the boiled peanuts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
For longer storage, you can freeze boiled peanuts for up to three months.
How to Serve Boiled Peanuts
These spicy boiled peanuts are an all-in-one snack fresh from the Instant Pot. Simply pop them out of their shells and enjoy! They make a great appetizer during a game or after-school snack for kids.
- Vegan Rice Krispie Treats: Original and Creamy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
- Instant Pot Crispy Potatoes: Three-Ingredient Breakfast
- Best Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipe
- Instant Pot Popcorn from Tidbits
I’d love to see your masterpieces! If you make this or any of my recipes be sure to tag @foodlovecooks on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest!
Instant Pot Spicy Boiled Peanuts
- 1 pound raw peanuts
- ¼ cup salt
- 1½ tablespoons Cajun seasoning*
- 8 cups water
- Wash and drain the raw peanuts to remove any dirt.
- Add the peanuts to the pressure cooking pot along with the salt, Cajun seasoning and water to cover. If you like, you can place the trivet that comes with the Instant Pot over the peanuts to make sure they stay immersed in the water.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to seal. Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, if you prefer tender and crunchy peanuts. For soft peanuts, cook for 60 minutes at high pressure. When the cook time ends, let the pressure release naturally for 30 minutes.
- Open the lid and allow the peanuts to sit in the cooked salty water for an hour. Serve and enjoy.
Leave a Reply