This Chickpea and Spinach Curry is one of my all-time favorite vegan recipes. It’s packed with veggies, protein, and fiber, and it can be cooked from start to finish in 20 minutes.
Sometimes I make this curry as a quick weeknight dinner, but most often I actually make a batch and divide it into lunches for the week. It’s a perfect lunch because it holds up well in the fridge and it can be eaten by itself or with a grain or bread. One serving is one heaping cup (which feels like a lot) and it has 208 calories, 10g of protein, 9g of fiber, and a healthy serving of spinach.
I usually serve this or basmati rice, brown rice, or naan, but this week I’ll be eating it with quinoa. I’m on a quinoa kick lately and adds even more protein and fiber.
The fresh spinach is my favorite part of this recipe, but if you would prefer to use frozen spinach it still works well. Simply omit the water and cook the spinach a bit longer. If you don’t have chickpeas or if you don’t like them, lentils also work well in this recipe.
Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 14.5 ounce cans chickpeas garbanzo beans
- 6 ounces of spinach
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, tumeric, and chili powder, and cook for 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and stir to combine.
- Add spinach one handful at a time and sautee for a few minutes until wilted.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add them to the tomato sauce.
- Thoroughly heat them, stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve immediately over rice, quinoa, or with naan.
Don’t forget to add the curry to it like I did! The step by step instructions never mentioned when to add it so I didn’t even realize I forgot until I was sitting down eating it. 🙁