If you’ve spent much time on our blog, you know we love rice and Mexican food. 5-Ingredient Spanish Rice is our most popular recipe, and Mexican or Southwest recipes always seem to be our favorites. This week I’m making another rice recipe that I absolutely love – Avocado Green Rice. If you’ve never had Green Rice (or Arroz Verde) before, you’re missing out, and the avocado just takes it to the next level.
This recipe gets its fresh flavor and touch of spice from cilantro, parsley, jalapeno, lime and garlic. I’ll be honest – this rice is actually great before you even add the avocado, but adding the avocado just gives it an extra kick. It adds a creamy texture that is so satisfying, and the avocado flavor complements the basic green rice perfectly.
Add this rice to tacos, use it in burritos or salads, or (if you’re me) eat it on its own. It’s so good, I could eat a big bowlful all by itself.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup white rice
- 1-2 cups chicken broth*
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a blender add chicken broth*, parsley, cilantro, jalapeno, minced garlic, onion powder, and lime juice and blend until fully combined.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the rice and stir to coat completely in oil. Cook, stirring occasionally for 2-3 minutes, until rice is lightly toasted.
- Add the chicken broth mixture and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat up to high, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, put the lid on the sauce pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 20 minutes*, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is fully cooked.
- While rice is cooking, mash avocado in a small bowl, using a fork, until totally smooth. Add salt and stir to combine.
- Once rice is done cooking, remove from heat and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff the rice. Add the avocado mixture and stir until combined.
- Serve immediately.
*The amount of chicken broth you use and the cook time for your rice depend on the instructions for the brand of rice you are using. If the instructions say to use 1 cup of water per cup of rice and cook for 20 minutes, then for this recipe use 1 cup of chicken broth and cook for 20 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- WÜSTHOF Gourmet Eighteen Piece Acacia Block Set | 18-Piece German Knife Set | Precise Laser Cut High Carbon Stainless Steel Kitchen Knife Set with 17 Slot Acacia Wood Block – Model 9718-6
- Measuring Cups and Magnetic Measuring Spoons Set, Wildone Stainless Steel 16 Piece Set, 8 Measuring Cups & 7 Double Sided Stackable Magnetic Measuring Spoons & 1 Leveler
- Kitchen Utensil Set Wood,9 Pack Wooden Cooking Utensils with Holder, Natural Teak Wooden Spoons for Cooking,Wooden Spatula,Turner,Strainer,Ladle,Egg Whisk,Slottled Spoons
- Blendtec Classic 575 Blender - WildSide+ Jar (90 oz) and Spoonula Spatula BUNDLE - Professional-Grade Power - Self-Cleaning - 4 Pre-programmed Cycles - 5-Speeds - Black
- Cuisinart 8919-14 Professional Stainless Saucepan with Cover, 1-Quart