I’ll confess I’ve never been the biggest fan of ranch dressing – at least the store bought kind. If a recipe called for ranch dressing or a packet of ranch seasoning, I used to just skip it. Once I started making homemade ranch seasoning and dressing mix, my attitude changed. The homemade version is super-easy and tastes much better than commercial packets.
It takes less than five minutes to make homemade ranch dressing mix or seasoning mix, so I make both, one to use for salad dressing and another to use for chicken, vegetables or other recipes. Both mixes are made with staple ingredients you might already have in the pantry, but the dressing mix includes a secret ingredient, powdered buttermilk, that makes it extra convenient.
Ranch seasoning mix is a blend of dried minced onion, dried parsley, salt, garlic powder, dried dill, and ground black pepper. Use it for any recipe that calls for ranch dressing mix as a seasoning. One tablespoon of this seasoning mix is equal to one packet of commercial ranch dressing mix. If you want to use it for salad dressing, add 1 cup buttermilk and 1 cup mayonnaise.
I don’t always have fresh buttermilk around, so for salad dressing I find it easier just to add 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk to the seasoning mix. Powdered buttermilk lasts almost forever if kept in the refrigerator after opening.
I use a food processor to mix the ingredients, because I like a finer texture, but you can simply combine the ingredients using a whisk. Here’s the finished product, ready to be turned into fresh salad dressing any time:
To create your homemade ranch dressing, combine 2 tablespoons of the mix with one cup mayonnaise and one cup of milk.
I’m now a ranch dressing believer! My family devoured this salad:
- Ranch seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Ranch salad dressing mix
- All of the above plus ½ cup powdered buttermilk
- Combine dried minced onion, dried parsley, salt, garlic powder, dried dill and black pepper in a food processor, or in a small bowl with a whisk.
- To make salad dressing with this mix, add one tablespoon mix to one cup buttermilk and one cup mayonnaise. Whisk to combine.
- Make ranch seasoning mix as described above, then add 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk.
- To make salad dressing with this mix, combine 2 tablespoons mix with 1 cup mayonnaise and 1 cup milk.