Vegan Hot Chocolate
Creamy, easy vegan hot chocolate is the best way to warm up this winter, with two kinds of plant-based milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, and a touch of coconut sugar.
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark chocolate chopped or grated (you may substitute with chocolate chips)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons coconut whipped cream divided
- Cinnamon powder optional
- Marshmallows optional
In a small pot, over low heat, warm the almond and coconut milk until just beginning to steam.
Add the grated chocolate and cacao powder. Stir well until the chocolate melts completely.
Whisk in the vanilla extract and coconut sugar.
Take two serving cups and add 1 tablespoon coconut whipped cream to the bottom of each one. Pour the hot chocolate into the cups, stirring continuously. By adding the whipped cream at the bottom and not necessarily on top of the drink, you will give the drink a smooth and rich consistency.
Top with the remaining whipped cream, a bit of cinnamon (about ¼ tsp for each cup) or marshmallows, whatever you prefer.
Calories: 590kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 54g | Saturated Fat: 42g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 280mg | Potassium: 593mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 269mg | Iron: 7mg