Ok folks, I just might have a new favorite pasta recipe. This Baked Caprese Tortellini is super cheesy, delicious, and simple. Caprese and tortellini are two of my favorite things, so it just makes sense to bring them together into one cheesy skillet of deliciousness. It only requires 6 ingredients and can be made start to finish in about 30 minutes.
This recipe doesn’t call for any particular flavor of tortellini, so feel free to use your favorite. I chose to use 3 cheese tonight, but I think spinach and ricotta, cheese and roasted garlic, or almost any other flavor would taste great. Tonight I was out of homemade marinara sauce so I used store bought, but I recommend using homemade if you have some on hand.
Everyone in my family was going for seconds when I made this tonight and served it with a simple Italian side salad. It was a delicious vegetarian weeknight dinner.
- 20 oz tortellini
- 1 1/2 cups [url href=”http://foodlove.com/veggie-marinara-sauce/” target=”_blank”]marinara sauce[/url]
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, separated
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook tortellini al dente, according to package instructions.
- While tortellini is cooking, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add marinara sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to skillet and warm, stirring occasionally until tortellini is done cooking (about 7-9 minutes).
- When tortellini is done cooking, drain and then pour into the skillet, stirring to coat in sauce.
- Turn stove off and fold in mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes, and 1/2 of the chopped basil. Once combined, top with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Place the skillet in the oven and baked for 25 minutes. Top with remaining basil and serve.